Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Continuing Education and CEUCafe
1. Can I earn all 36 units--including BBS required courses--through CEUCafe?
Yes. Per the Board of Behavioral Sciences, all CEU’s may be obtained through electronic means. You may refer to http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/publications/ceinfo_brochure.pdf
. You may even obtain credit for mandatory courses which include Spousal or Partner Abuse, HIV/AIDS, Aging and Long Term Care and Law and Ethics. You may choose nonfictional material that is relevant to the above-named topics. Non-mandatory courses may include any material that is relevant to your field as defined by the BBS.
Please note - Amended Regulation regarding obtaining CE: Effective February 1, 2003, licensees may obtain all of their hours of required continuing education through interactive, electronic means. This includes online, teleconferencing, and videotape viewing.
2. How do I know if the material I want to use is acceptable for CEU credit?
Any non-fiction material relating to the MFT/LCSW scope of practice is acceptable. Courses can relate to direct patient/client care (theoretical frameworks, intervention techniques, etc.) or indirect patient/client care (legal issues, consultation, record keeping, office management, insurance matters, supervision, etc.).
According the BBS, course work needs to be related to the MFT's/LCSW's scope of practice, and incorporate at least one of the following:
- Aspects of counseling or social work that are fundamental to the understanding or practice of counseling or social work;
- Aspects of counseling or social work in which significant recent developments have occurred; and
- Aspects of other related disciplines that enhance the understanding or practice of counseling or social work.
The material you choose cannot be designed for lay people (financial gain, time management, career development, computers/software, etc.) as this is not considered acceptable for continuing education.
You may refer to the "Qualify Material” form which will help you determine if your material meets with the regulations regarding courses that are acceptable for continuing education.
3. How are my courses evaluated?
Once you complete and submit your essay test, a qualified evaluator will check for relevance, accuracy, and content. When it is determined that it is acceptable for CEU credit, you will receive an email of acceptance and may print your Certificate of Completion via email.
(The post-test questions are below.)
|Here are some guidelines to keep in mind when answering questions. Answers should be concise, while still clearly reflecting knowledge of the material. Please write at least one paragraph for each question. Paragraphs between two and five sentences long are ideal.
1. Summarize the overall theme or purpose of this material.
2. Discuss the points you found most significant in this material.
3. Discuss how you would apply this material to the practice of your profession.
4. Write a critique of this material.
You must also agree to the following statement: I certify that the material I have chosen for continuing education credit was read, listened to, or viewed in its entirety within my current license renewal period. I further certify that I personally and solely completed the post-test and course evaluation honestly and accurately.
4. Do I need to complete a course evaluation?
Yes. Below is a sample form.
Did this material meet your learning goals and objectives?
___Not at all
How would you rate the clinical relevance of this material?
Would you recommend this material to a colleague?
___Yes, without reservation
___No, definitely not
Comments/suggestions as to how CEUCafe can serve you better?
5. Is my credit card and other personal information secure?
Yes! You credit card information is submitted using a Secure Socket Layer (SSL). On your URL address bar you will notice the "../https://", this indicates that your payment information you are submitting is encrypted and secure.
6. How many CEU's will I receive for the material I choose?
You may receive credit for books, journal articles, or audio/video tapes that you have read during your current renewal period. For self-selected material, CEU’s are given at the following rates:
- Books -- 40 pages = 1 CEU
- Journal Articles -- 5 pages = 1 CEU
- Audio/Video Tape, CD, DVD -- 1 hour = 1 CEU
7. What information do I need to provide once I have chosen my material?
You will be asked to provide the title of the book, article or audio/video material, the date it was published, the number of hours or pages, the publisher and the author or producer.
8. How can I get started earning units?
• Simply enter the information regarding your reading, listening or viewing material.
• Complete the essay post test and evaluation
• Enter your account information on the CEUCafe secure website.
9. When will my credit card be billed?
Your credit card will be processed electronically after you have submitted your course. We accept Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express through our secure online payment process with Bank of America.
10. How can I obtain my certificate of completion?
When your post test has been approved and your payment information is received, you will be notified by email that your certificate is ready to be printed. You may also request via email that your certificate be mailed to you.
11. What if I forgot my password?
Go to the home page and click on Student Login and click “Forgot my Password” and you will be helped via email.
12. What is the definition of "scope of practice" for MFTs and LCSWs?
Scope of Practice for Marriage and FamilyTherapists
It is that service performed with individuals, couples, or groups wherein interpersonal relationships are examined for the purpose of achieving more adequate, satisfying, and productive marriage and family adjustments. This practice includes relationship and pre-marriage counseling. The applications of marriage, family, and child counseling principles and methods includes, but is not limited to, the use of applied psychotherapeutic techniques, to enable individuals to mature and grow within marriage and the family, and the provision of explanations and interpretations of the psychosexual and psychosocial aspects of relationships. (B&P 4980.02)
Scope of Practice for Licensed Clinical Social Workers
It is a service in which a special knowledge of social resources, human capabilities, and the part that unconscious motivation plays in determining behavior, is directed a helping people to achieve more adequate, satisfying, and productive social adjustments. The application of social work principles and methods includes, but is not restricted to, counseling and using applied psychotherapy of a non-medical nature with individuals, families, or groups; providing information and referral services; providing or arranging for the provision of social services; explaining or interpreting the psychosocial aspects in the situations of individuals, families, or groups; helping communities to organize, to provide, or to improve social or health services; or doing research related to social work. (B&P 4996.9)
13. The BBS requires additional coursework before I can be licensed as an MFT or LCSW. Can I get credit for this coursework through CEUCafe.com?
The BBS allows some of the coursework required prior to licensure to be obtained from an approved continuing education provider, such as CEUCafe.com. The allowed coursework follows:
15 hours - Alcoholism and Other Chemical Substance Dependency
10 hours - Human Sexuality
7 hours - Child Abuse
See the BBS website for details of where to obtain coursework not listed above. http://www.bbs.ca.gov/pdf/publications/ceinfo_brochure.pdf
14. I'm an MFT Trainee, and I don't have a license number. What do I enter in the field for license number when I register at CEUCafe.com?
You can type the words "MFT Trainee" in the license field. If you are an MFT Intern or ASW, you can enter the number you have with the BBS in this field.